Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingers getting torn up...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by my name is mud, Nov 2, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    Is it normal for your right index and middle finger to be getting all torn up from playing alot? Its weird because my plucking and poping fingers arn't as bad lol. Could it be the strings? I have fender nickle roundwounds.

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    IME, until one builds calluses its typical, esp. w/ roundwounds;
    the nickel should help. If you have "good" calluses already you could try either half/ground wounds or flats to help.

Now about the differences between "finger wear"; if you use your index and middle finger significantly more than your ring and pinky ( which IMO, is the "norm".) its almost assured you will have more "wear" on them.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mine get tender, but not torn up, and I've only been playing for 7 years. It especially gets that way when I'm on tour. You could be playing differently and not realizing it.

4. boogiedown

boogiedown

Nov 1, 2004
    at least you arent playing upright. After a night playing my standup ive always got a giant blister on my right index and middle fingers. Just keep playing the more you play the more your calluses will develop and the less torn up your fingers will be. Also you might consider changing your strings. I find that older worn out strings are harder on my fingers.

5. in my experience you just need to build up the calluses on your fingertips. my index fingertip (and to a lesser extent my middle and ring fingers- my poor technique showing...) is pretty rock solid now. i've been playing about 4 years.
    Kyle

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    My fingers get ripped to shreds - doesn't worry me

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Mine are soft and don't get blisters or calluses. Never got shredded either. I got the genes..err. jeans.