1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fingers hurt when playing new bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maxrathburn, Jul 17, 2012.

1. I just got a used Musicman Stingray the other day, and i realized that my fingers hurt a lot more after playing it than my jazz bass. I did realize that the strings are high above the fretboard, especially compared to my jazz bass. Could this be why?

2. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Are they new strings? It may be that they are different and more rough than the ones you are used to. That or the strings are have more tension than your jazz, and you need to use more power to pluck it.

3. i dont think they are new. the string definitely have more tension, as it is also harder to slap them. how can i make the strings less tense?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like your action's high. It probably needs a setup. If you want less tense strings, buy something softer. Thomastik Infeld Power Bass strings have a soft touch but still have plenty of power.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1.

As strings get 'broken in' they get longer... meaning the tend to feel (and get) slightly less flexible.

What you described as 'high above the fretboard' is a thing known as 'action'. To check this you can follow some of the guides on this site: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/all-basic-setup-questions-answered-here-125382/

and there are lots of vids online too. If you have any specific questions ask. I always start out by getting the neck straight (or 99.9% of the way). I haven't set up a MM but I'm sure you can figure it out with reference to some guides.

like this one :D http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/33579-stingray-set-up.html

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes high action is uncomfortable and causes both fatique and in time finger soreness. Lower the action. It will both play and sound better.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you don't feel comfortable doing a setup, there are probably some bass techs in your area. Check Yelp or let us know where you're located..probably some TBrs by you that may be able to help out.

Also, see my link below for bass techs.

Let us know how it goes.

8. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Yes.

The instrument may require a set-up. The nut might need filing, the bridge saddles may require adjustment, the truss rod may need to be tweaked if theres excessive "bow" in the neck. In some extreme cases, the neck pocket angle might need attention.

If you're not familiar with these procedures, you might consider having a qualified tech do the setup on your instrument. the good news is usually this can be done for under $60.

9. thanks for the help. I live on a small island, so dont have much for repair here. I have adjusted it slightly in the bridge, and i like the action, but it seems almost too low with the first 2-3 frets, is there a way to fix that? thanks.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Loosen the truss rod an eighth turn and see. Read the setup guides.

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You might be hitting the raised pole pieces on the pickup. I had that issue when I had a Musicman.