Fingers Hurt!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PinkFloydJunky, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Well, last night I was playing for 5 hours at some
    gig, and now my ring finger is killing me on my fretting hand...the problem is, tonite i have another looong gig and I'm wondering,
    does anyone know how i can fix this im' playing around with my bass and that one finger doesn't want to play!

2. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    If you play DB, I'd say that you should use DB-style fingering for your bass... Only fingers 1,2, and 4, and get used to shifting positions more
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    this ISN'T the best advice, but it's what i'd do.

asprin + warmup + stretching + prayer = not letting the band down and blowing a gig.

a doctor would probably tell ya not to play cuz if you injured it, you have the potential risk of really screwing it up good.

another thing you could do is practice using the finger as little as possible, change your fingering around, alter your playing a bit. lighten your touch - maybe drop the action on your bass.

hey - if you're talkin about double bass then ignore me.
  4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    This is weird, but I notice I rarely fret with my ring finger - it just feels unnatural in most positions for me. If your pinky is strong enough, and you don't have too many 1-2-3-4 licks or fills, practice your regular tunes with 1-2-4 only.

above all else, stretch the muscles in your ring finger and try to help it heal and/or rest, if you overwork it, just like any other body part it could make whatever damage worse.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - moved.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me to! It's odd enough, it started out as pinky training, and then I just kept using it.
  7. Thank ya guys n' gals (i think!)

Yes, I have been trying not to use my ring finger but my pinkies are not the strongest...I'm a girl and I don't have the largest hands in the world, and my bassIm using (Fender Telecaster bass) is HUGE!

Thanks so much everyone...I'm off to the gig! :cool: