Fingers hurt

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by juancaminos, Jun 4, 2021.

1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I was diagnosed with Arthritis in my hands in feet a while back. It used to be that my feet and ankles where the problem and in fact what I first sought medical advice for. But now my fingers, hands and forearms have been getting progressively worse.

We just finished building a green house and it just about killed my fingers. They ached so much every night during the build. I ended up buying a nail gun so I didn't have to grip a hammer or drill. Also, now I find that I can barely play a 6 string acoustic guitar. I cannot form a simple D chord at all and can just barely play a C chord (barre chords went long ago) . This makes me sick to think about. I cannot snap my fingers or touch my little finger and thumb together...try it...I can't do it, not even close.

Bass wise, I can still play albeit not like the old days but I accept that at 66 years old.
    I can and do still play bass gigs once or twice a week. My fingers may ache after the second night but I can play. But what's next?

Who else suffers like this and what can be done?

2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Talk with a MD.

juancaminos and 12BitSlab like this.
  3. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I did talk with an MD when "I was diagnosed". I found that there is no cure and was told to take what ever over the counter pain reliever works best for me.

I am not here seeking medical advice just want to know what other bass players do to help with the pain and mobility issues.

Thanks

4. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Tylenol.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021