1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingers in the mouth whistle

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kosko, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Can you guys do that whole two fingers in the mouth whistle? I never understood how that could be done. Not only that but people that can do it, it sounds like a freaking train whistle or something piercing the air with high volume and pitch. Whats the magic secret in the whistle technique?

2. I often wonder the same thing. Then again, I can only whistle if I inhale. MAybe the makeup of the skin around the mouth and positionning of the jaw?

Either way, I can't do it.

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My buddy in high school and I used to sit together at the athletic events and both whistle like that at the same time. You get this harmonic note in between the two - really quite ear-piercing and annoying! We were well-loved by all in attendence, I'm sure!

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Like my buddies parents, they'd be off playing a mile away and his dad would step outside and let loose the whistle of death. He'd hear it and go running home to dinner. That had a system down.

Oh, one other whistle story. About 10 years ago I went and saw Bush at the arena. Girls were whistling loud and nonstop. I had a splitting headache at the end of that show. Hated it.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Thought I was the only one. Weird, huh? :confused:

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I can whistle by inhaling and exhaling. Makes it nice being able to whistle nonstop without having to ever stop for breath.

7. Ha! Inward whistling! Before this, whistlers were only whistling half the time! But NOT WITH INWARD WHISTLING! Check it out!

whooooooooooowhoooooooooooooowhooooooooooooowhooooooooooo

Take THAT, Tenacious D!!!!!!! :smug:

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Could never do that. Sigh. Again. Another thing I fail at.

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

my father taught me years ago , but i could never master the two finger thing .
    now i can whistle extremely loud just by twisting my tongue in my mouth { cheek } ...
    and i do mean extremely loud . :D

you know , like in the movies where the guy whistles for a cab ,
    only i can make it last as long as my breath will last ,
    ten to twenty seconds at least .

10. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i lack any and all whistling ability

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I can't do it. Oh well.

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i can make a rain drop sound by smaking myself the face.

altho somethimes i almost knock myself out when i try it on the head.

13. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Are you saying you blow AND suck?

:bag:

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm lucky I can't do it. I'd probably breach the peace and commit public order offences every day if I could!

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Whenever I try to learn how to whistle, I get light-headed after a few minutes. =/

16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I can whistle loud the normal way. My dad can whistle with his fingers in his mouth. I swear it could start avalanches. I guess it's a New York thing.

17. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i've been trying to do that for years. There was one day where i did it two or three time. I've actually tried for an hour or so to figure it out, to no avail.

-Jon

18. I ran across this site a while back. I can't do it but haven't tried these instructions either ... http://www.geocities.com/whistle_teach/

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Yes I can. I can also whistle pretty loud between my two front teeth and by sticking my tongue with a bit of a dip, part way between my lips. It's kind of hard to explain, but my dad tought me how to do it a long time ago.

20. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Always wished I could do that.

I can whistle in the normal way, pursing the lips, air over the tongue, or with the tongue up against the roof of the mouth, lips relaxed, but neither of them give ear-splitting volume. :(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021