1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingers letting me down

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sptz, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Sptz

Sptz

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey, I play lots of styles mainly funk/fusion. But I joined a death metal band 4 months ago, we are gigging ALOT, and I'm in need of some tips, well, I play with my fingers and play with the strap up high. The problem is usually on many gigs I can't have my bass to warm up my fingers because my bass had to be on the stage. So 2 days ago I had a considerably medium gig, with 300~400 people and I was really freezing in the backstage (it was really cold and I was obviously a bit anxious and nervous as usual before going up the stage), what happens is in the first music, more or less in the middle of it, my right hand fingers start to slow down a lot, I find myself struggling like hell to speed them up (the left hand is fine though) the song ends, the 2nd comes and it's allright until the end of the show... It's always the first song that my fingers feel like they need oil... any exercises I can do without my bass before a show? Thanks in advance

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    well you have to have circulation, if your finger muscles aren't getting the blood they need then you'll cramp or stiffen up.

if your hands are cold:
    tip 1: don't drink or smoke before the gig.
    tip 2: arm pits, you'll be a superstar.
    tip 3: try gloves before you go on.
    tip 4: keep moving don't sit, get the blood flowing, maybe even a little sweat

3. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
    I bring gloves to gigs where that might be an issue or on the road. helps a LOT.

other than that, sit on em or stick them in your armpits.
    Jumpingjacks help to get the blood flowing, too

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    listen to my man here he know whats up
    JoshinHuntingtonBeach027.

5. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i find drumming my fingers on a table helps loosen them up a bit also practicing that trick with a coin whereby you shuffle it between your knuckles but my fave is to carry a pair of rubber balls and just squeese one in each hand it soon gets the red juice flowing

6. go into the bathroom and soak your hands in warm water before you go on

7. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    wear gloves and rub hands vigorously together to heat them for @ five minutes before hitting stage.

8. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Do some finger stretching exercises before you go on.
    John Petrucci explains it much better than I could:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=bINkQUbA33o
    Exercises like that will get your fingers and wrists warmed up before the gig, which will not only allow you to play faster and more precise on those first few songs, but also help prevent injuries.

9. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I find that I can force blood into my fingers by swinging my arm in a big circle. That usually warms them up pretty well.

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    find some groupie and feel her up