Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingers to Pick Volume Increase

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pkeeg, Oct 30, 2000.

1. After being a finger player for several years I've now also become ok with a pick (practice, practice,practice)so I'm using a combination of styles in songs where it sounds right. My question is with the increase in volume when using a pick (compared to the quiter tone of fingers) do you guys adjust the volume or just play on when you use both styles in the one song. Thank you.

[Edited by pkeeg on 10-31-2000 at 12:36 AM]

2. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    It's just a thought, but if you're looking for a conveinent way to increase/decrease your volume inbetween songs, you might want to look into purchasing a volume pedal. It works sort of like a wah pedal.

3. I can't say I've ever noticed a general difference in volume between pick and fingers. I'd say if you are experiencing this, maybe you should consider practicing both techniques alternately while aiming to get a more even match volumewise. So maybe you need to back off a little with the pick while increasing your fingerstyle volume overall.

I guess a lot of my approach comes from the fact that I play more orchestral double bass these days than electric. There are no volume controls on a double bass other than what your fingers and bow produce. You are in complete control of every note (hopefully!). So I generally apply this principal to my electric bass playing - all my dynamic changes are done with on the instrument itself so I don't use any kind of compressors or volume pedals whatsoever. It just takes a lot of careful practice and most of all, you really have to listen to every single note you play.

4. I've experienced this, and I'll usually just roll off the volume a little for the pick. However, you could always leave it and wait for the guitar player to tell you to turn down!

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Originaly posted by Stingray5
    I've experienced this, and I'll usually just roll off the volume a little for the pick. However, you could always leave it and wait for the guitar player to tell you to turn down! [/B][/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!!!
    :D

Or dig in a little more with your fingers:)

[Edited by Funkster on 11-02-2000 at 07:19 AM]