1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingers vs. Pick...now, Feet?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Road Hat, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Road Hat

Road Hat Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2008
    NorCal, USA
    I just finished watching the Led Zeppelin Celebration Day reunion concert DVD. Holy frick! I never saw them live, and I understand so much more about the band and the music having seen the concert. John Bonham's son, Jason, was on drums and nailed it.

But I digress from the topic at hand. I was amazed at the number of songs that JPJ did on keyboards. Especially with his feet (mostly left foot). I know it's done all the time, but it was an amazing performance, triggered samples or not.

So, should the keyboard bass foot pedals be played with or without a shoe? I'm personally in favor of the cowboy boot. I have big feet, and the pointy toe helps me hone in on a specific pedal. I can see the advantages of playing barefoot, but you'd have to do all of your bass playing barefoot as well.

JPJ - Fingers, Pick, Feet can't be beat!

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    My grandfather told me that the car manufacturer's would drive their cars on the specified EPA mileage test route with bare feet for better sensitivity. So I'll have to go no shoes on this one.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would go with a softer shoe

4. I felt the same way after I watched it. It was impressive to watch JPJ doing the bassline with his feet while playing keys. I am always impressed with bassists who can sing, play pedals, and bass all at the same time like JPJ, Geddy, Squire, and many others. I wish I could do that.;)