Fingerstyle Attack

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 25, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I was just looking through some pics from a show ago and noticed one with mad string tension. My fingerstyle is ridiculously hard these days! I started noticing that my slapping wasnt as loud as my fingerstyle about a month ago. Then I broke an E string. I dont always attack like in this pic, but seeing it is kind of disturbing :eyebrow:

2. On the plus side, it makes good pictures.
  3. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I say there's nothing wrong with a strong attack. gives the bass some authority and power... and punchiness. remember that stanley clarke used to use and ultra aggressive fingerstyle also. :bassist: :)
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've broken two E strings because of my attack. I like the sound, it's my tone. I don't care if i break strings.
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    True that. I kind of expected a lot more criticism. I find that the way to produce a growly growly sound out of my setup is with a decent attack and some pretty wide string vibration.
  6. You can still get a good growley tone without plucking your strings to death, The angle of attack can effect this and other plucking aspects, i found experimentation to be key in this. Having a lighter touch will allow you to play much faster with more dynamics. You can also set your action much lower this way, and from the sonds of it save some money on strings :D I cant believe your right hand doesnt start to hurt after plucking like that all night. And i may be wrong about this, but if you are bending the strings so much wouldnt the initial attack of your note be pretty out of tune? Again i could be wrong on that one.
  7. Damn. I have nothing against playing that hard, but I never do that. I have a fairly light touch when I play most of the time. I guess it depends what I'm playing though.