fingerstyle flea

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Jun 17, 2002.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Hey folks... I have been more and more impressed by flea's groove lately, and I am looking for some ideas on some new songs to play.

I am looking for your opinions on some of Flea's best fingerstyle playing. Not looking for crazy solo's - i want stuff that grooves.

Some that I have been playing around with are Apache Rose Peacock, Around the World, If You Have to Ask, and Walkabout.

I know there are loads of flea worshippers out there. I am curious to hear what you all think.
  2. I always thought Soul to Squezee was his best fingerstyle!
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Californication has a bloddy good feel to it.
  4. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have to agree. I also like their new one, "By The Way" (I think thats all fingerstyle)
  5. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    How about Road Trippin'.....Its such a nice accoustic line...and it has groove
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Oh yeah! :D

This velvet glove also has, not so much a grovvy one, but a good feel.
  7. Anything off "BloodSugarSexMagik." I saw you mentioned a couple of songs from that album. All those tunes have such a laid-back, funky feel. "Mellowship Slinky" is my favorite, I think.
  8. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Please keep em coming...

I always thought mellowship slinky was slapped??

btw, the only reason i asked for fingerstyle stuff, is cause i am just not comfortable enough with my own slapping to bring a total slap song over to the guys i am playing with and play it cleanly.
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Check out Apache Rose Peacock on BSSM.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Walkabout is definatley my favorite Flea fingerstyle song. It really shows the people who think Flea has no groove, that he really does. I would love to be in a band that covered it.

I also dig his playing on the cover of "Hollywood".
  11. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    walkabout is awesome... that is one that i am gonna bring to my band at least to jam to, though i am hoping we can actually ad that to a set list eventually - though it would likely be with no vocals...
  12. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    How about Falling into Grace from One Hot Minute?
  13. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Oh, and don't forget Alanis Morissette's you oughta know! Flea's basslines really make that song work.
  14. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the outro solo on 'Coffee Shop'! WOO-HAAA!!! :D

nah, maybe not. definite string-breaker fretboard-masher, that one. i love Flea's grooves on 'Show Me Your Soul', but there is a small slap section during the verses. it's not too hard to get under your fingers, though.

'My Lovely Man' is also pretty cool, but the tops for me is 'If You Have To Ask'. questionable intonation, but killer feel.

go nuts like my arse after curry, dude.
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Checkout "Subway to Venus" on "Mother's Milk." There's some creative finger stuff there.
  16. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I am pretty sure "By The Way" is played with a pick.
  17. "Aeroplane" has some GREAT fingerstyle stuff in it... however, the main verse riff is a slap line, But it's a pretty straightforward slap lick; the only thing that might give you trouble would be some of the fills. Other than that, the fingerstyle parts are probably more difficult to play right than the slap stuff... Give it a try, it might be a good song to work some slap stuff into your playing.

"Soul to Squeeze" is also a good choice as mentioned above.

For some Tower Of Power style chops burning check out "Parallel Universe" off of Californication, although I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Other than that, most of my favorite Flea fingerstyle playing is on ballads rather than stuff with real "groove".

18. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    totally. Flea's lines on 'I Could Have Lied', 'Under The Bridge' and 'Breaking The Girl' are way underrated. stupid guitar! :D
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 that The Meters' tune originally titled "Africa"?
    (The Chilis covered it & renamed it).

"Mellowship Slinky In B Minor"-
    ...not slapped. Why does this tune have "B Minor" in its title? Isn't in "B Major"? ;)

Also, "Funky Monks" has some nice Jaco-esque fingerfunk in the outro(IIRC).