Fingerstyle Funk MP3

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Hello - back from tropical Thailand (which was wondeful) to a snowy, cold and overcast UK, however after two weeks of NO bass I feel seriously out of practice - but I have a ton of stuff to do work-wise so the shedding will have to wait till later.

Here's a funky tune from my band that has morphed into a serious 16th note workout which I really love playing live - it's damn funky - and the organ solo in the middle just kills, I hope you enjoy it - make sure you wanna dance! :) when downloading...

Whappa - funky sh!t - Full Version.mp3

We are playing at the Bluejay Lounge again on March 5th - be lovely to see some of you London TB types there, details here
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool tune!

Thanks for posting it!

3. I love thatfat burpy tone. How'd you get it?
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I hear the words practice coming
  5. Practice.

Blimey, you were right!! :D :D :D :D
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That seriously funks man! I love it!
  7. Yeah, it took me a while to get that rolling, Jaco-style, thing happening - I didn't know how to do it for years so I guess you could say I have it down now...thanks for the nice words.
  8. Sounds really cool! I live that Jamiroquai sound your stuff has.

I don't live in the UK, but I'll see if I can get some of my friends to go. :)
  9. im with smash! :)

i always enjoy your clips, your tone is awesome, and lines are inspiring (sp?). rock on! :hyper: :bassist:
  10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    You don't have it down yet. Keep working on it though. It seems like you think too much when you play.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I don't know where you're going wrong, my thumb gets that too o_0.
  12. Damn - you're actually right - it is busy and I do stumble a bit on a few phrases but I still love playing this song live, I better get back to my wood-shed :meh: as for thinking too much I'm not sure I can agree with you on that - I have to think to some degree when I'm playing - this was a live performance with an eager crowd and we were very much in the spotlight and the adrenalin was flowing. It's hard to completely go into subconcious, free-flow mode when you're pumped up on a gig...sorry if you think that I was thinking too much but I have to have some awareness of what I'm playing and for your information I actually improvised some of the sections on the night - i.e. I actually played some of the parts this way for the first time - so infact YES I was thinking hard when I played this - I get your point but hey I'm far from perfect - I hope you found something to enjoy here though... :confused:

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So when are you guys touring Europe? :D No seriously, since you're from the UK it'd be cool to see your band live!
  14. Hi Vorago - we are looking into lots of live possibilities - we're hoping to get a slot at Glastonbury this year on one of the smaller stages - I don't think we're ready for the Jazz World Stage yet - but maybe...but I tell you what we have been talking about playing in Europe - i.e. not just the UK - so if you know any cool venues in Belgium that we could approach then PM me - we'd love to play Amsterdam as well - France is also on the list - any advice or help is very welcome.

We'd love to come and play for you man!

15. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Great stuff as always. Can't beat a bit of jazz/funk flute! :bassist:
  16. Like always - high quality. I was just going to say, though, that it sounded a bit stressed now and then, and that it was not the best I have heard from you. But then I realised it is a live performance, and you are after all a human too:)

What I don't like however, is the flutist....Doesn't seem like she's in control....

But don't mind me, I've been a classical schooled flutist for ten years now, and flute is actually my main instrument. I always hate flute-playing saxophonists.... :bag:
  17. Hi NorW,

If I'm honest and really picking holes in both mine and the band's performances here there are definitely some loose threads flying about - it's a fast tune and playing the lines I do I'm making work for myself that's for sure ;) and it's something I'm aware of - I wish we were ten times better than this in terms of over all technical ability and tightness - but we're working on it. As for Amber's flute playing - I agree with you and I love really good flute playing but Amber is such a full-on performer that her technical abilities, and this goes for her vocals too, sometimes go out the window in favour of a totally comitted performance - the fact that she can work the crowd, sing, dance, and play sax and flute is kinda impressive - but this is at the expense of her actually singing and playing everything to the best of her abilities. She's a pretty awesome person to have in a band - but she is pretty much a self-taught musician - hence of you're a classical player (of sorts) then I don'y blame you for finding fault her playing- no offense taken as it's fair comment - thanks for listening.

18. Yeah, but as I said - you are only humans, and being a live performance with a "wild" crowd, that is pretty darn good playing:) Me and my band can't come close - that's for sure! And yeah, I know exactly what you'r saying regarding the flutist. I'm also aware that in a live performance - it's often more important to reveale true energy than to play "correct" and good. Especially if the crowd is dancing - that usually makes em uninterested in techniqual virtuosity. (I feel my English getting worse every day..) Still, the performers I love the most is those who combines it all....(Jaco, anyone?) :D
    But as I stated, being a classicaly scooled flutist really makes my opinion somehow uniteresting. (I still state them, though:) ) Because my ideal is a clean, pure, and defined tone.
    But that wouldn't do much in a Jazz/funk setting, right?
  19. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Very, very nice!

I love listening to stuff; pretty much any stuff, but this stuff is very cool.

Nice bass work. From the description, it seemed like it was going to be a bit more busy, but it's just right. Sounds like you guys are pretty tight.

Great job!

20. I like it. Nice work!