Fingerstyle Funk

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by greekbassist, Feb 1, 2006.

1. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a good book with CD that teaches finger style funk..

Thanks Greekbassist!
  2. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
  3. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Geez, this sounds like an awesome book, however it is only written in notation...

I just purchase a sight reading book, maybe I should wait until I learn how to read notation....

thanks for your help!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Something you can practice until then-

1)Mute the strings with your fretting hand.
    2)With your plucking hand, use a strict alternation between Index & Middle 'time', in a 1/16th note feel
    Stay on one(1) string for now.
    3)Now alternate between Middle & Index

Try to build that repetitive motion into your muscle memory.
    Begin adding you will let some notes sound while muting others(ghosted notes, x-notes, etc).

5. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    WOW, thanks Jim K!!!! I will give these exercises a try...
  6. s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
    The Finger Funk Workbook Vol. 2 has both notation and tab. The material is similar to Vol. 1 only with different grooves. It's a good (and challenging) book.
  7. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
  8. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks guys,

Yesterday I purchased Classic Funk and R & B Grooves. I like it and learned an Alphonso Johnson line.

Just curious. After learning a line is it best to play it in different keys? Is it good to come up with a chord progression and use the rhythmic line?

Just want to know how to utilize what I am learning...This book is pretty good...It's styles range from JACO, Larry Graham (fingerstyle), Jerry Jermont, Verdine White, and JAMES JAMERSON!!!

I will try the Funk Finger Workout 2 book a little later....

Thanks again!!!
  9. Theres a Rocco video out there that's actually called Fingerstyle Funk, might be worth a watch :p
  10. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes! It will really help you in the longrun to learn all the grooves in different keys.
  11. triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    Are there any good DVDs out for the Funk? The Fingerstyle Funk by Rocco looked great but I don't have a VHS player! :rollno:

12. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    If you enjoy Classic Funk and R&B Grooves for Bass by Josquin des Pres, you might want to purchase '70s Funk & Disco Bass by the said author. In my opinion, the latter book is more challenging.

As owner of both books by Josquin des Pres and Funk Fusion Bass by John Liebman, I feel Funk Fusion Bass is the best book for fingerstyle funk.

13. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    T-Funk, a friend of mine has 70's funk & Disco Bass...
    I like that book, but for right now I perfer the one I am studying off..

I WOULD LOVE to try out the other book (Funk Fusion Bass)...
    After completing R & B/Funk line book I will give the other one a try...

As for Roco Prestia...WOW, Seems AWESOME...I wonder if his video is out on DVD?

Thanks again to everyone who replied!!!