Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerstyle question....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by leishan, Mar 16, 2004.

1. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    I have recently started playing fingerstyle after 6 months of playing with a pick (18 years of playing guitar-it was hard to let the pick go...). My problem is-whenever I play, the strings buzz really bad. I thought it was setup problems, but another guy played both of my basses and it didn't "rattle" at all.

Could it be my angle of attack or what??? I know it is probably gonna be hard to tell without seeing me play, but I thought I would ask you guys.....

I'll be taking the Technique class at musicdojo in a week or so, but I wanted to try to find out what my proble was first.

Thanks

2. Sounds like you may be really digging in and pulling the strings. Try a lighter touch using the pads of you fingers, just behind the finger tip. If you do really want to dig in, you may have to raise your action.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For me, personally, setting the action a bit higher was the remedy... I play with a bit of a heavy-ish touch, especially live, and a beefier action allows me to dig in a bit... You're one up on me though... I can't play with a pick to save my life!! :D

-robert

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, dude. You're digging in too hard when you attack. One my two previous basses, which had much higher actions than my current one, I dug in quite a bit and played *really* hard. When I got this one I had to begin seriously revamping my style, cause I'd accidentally start popping every note I played like I was playing funk, but had no thumbs with which to slap.

Just ease back on your plucking strength and you'll be fine. It's possible you're not fretting the note with enough force on your left hand, as well (I used to have a bad habit of doing that, too).

Cliff's notes: Light tough with the right hand, heavy touch with the left.

5. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    Thanks for the tips!!

6. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    Yeah!! I still have to pay attention and not dig in too hard though....I guess it will just take time.

Thanks!!!