Fingerstyle stamina

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Funkateer, Jan 9, 2004.

1. fretting hand

94 vote(s)
  2. plucking hand

75 vote(s)
  1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    To keep things simple, the poll is directed to finger style players, as that is my primary technique and interest.

What goes first when playing a long set or song? Left or right hand? Unless I am stuck in first position with a groove that requires one fret/finger, my right hand always is the first to tire.
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Both get a little tired, at times I think I need to play lighter and turn up my volume a bit. The problem I have is when I get get into it during a song I tend to dig in then I overpower the rest of the band.
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's all about economy of motion my friend. Don't move your fingers more than you have to.

At this stage of the game, my right wrist will get tired first if I try to slap too much. I guess I need to take my own advice.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use a light touch, so I don't tire easily, but usually the plucking hand tends to go first.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Usually its the plucking hand that gets tired first, but sometimes i DO develop a cramp in my left hand and that makes it diffucult to play.
  6. I guess my left hand dies first, but I don't often get to that point. It's usually my right hand fingers hurting from plucking.
  7. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    The whole thing depends so much on the type of riff i´m playing. If it is an atonal riff where my left hand has to do a lot of work, it tires my left hand faster of course.
  8. I usually never get tired. My left hand gets a little sloppy after an hour or two of continuous play due to fatigue I guess. Other then that my fingertips just get sore, but that's cause I'm a wussy, I haven't played through bloody fingertips for many months now. I must play more!!!!
  9. Sometimes my fretting hand will hurt when playing something that requires constant movement in the lower register, but the pain will go as soon as I stop. My plucking hand barely ever hurts. I pluck mostly with two fingers (index and middle).
  10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    my left hand tires first.. mainly cause i have a huge bass.. but we're talking after an hour and a half at least.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Left hand goes first. Sometimes it even gets painful.
  12. yeah my left hand dies if im playing something repetetive. Its not even my hand, I just get this pain in my wrist and forearm. My Plucking hand is usually good for a very long time, but I Play nice and light with the plucking hand.
  13. i am with jenderfazz as in that i don't usually get tired but if i do it is usually my left hand.
  14. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Normally my fingertips'll give way first although songs that your stuck playing root notes at 700 times a second its normally my right wrist that'll give way (not suprised as fingers are moving so fast)!
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

That's pretty much my problem. It's only on certain songs. Even if I like the song I ready to be playing the ending. It takes about two more songs for things to get back to normal, provided that the next couple of songs are easier on my forearm. It's like a burning feeling. Hey, maybe I'm working out and I don't even know it. :p
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Neither (guess you need another poll choice;)). I play with a light touch, keep the angle of my fretting hand at a natural angle and keep my amp volume up. It's typical that I'll end a gig playing faster than I started.
  17. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    The only time i have had any problems is playing Rage Against The Machine's Bullet In The Head, towards the end it is the same riff over and over again, i would play with a lighter touch, but that dosent give me the tone i like....
  18. My left hand goes first...but it only does when im practising chromatic fanstasy over and over again...its not unbearable pain though so i finish the song and then just wait a few minutes before practising again...or play something lighter to return my fingers to normal
  19. WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    For me it depends on the rif I have to play. If I have alot of changes It takes longer for my left hand to get tired. Especially if the riff is repetative. the I get the hurties....

My right hand sometimes gets tired, but usually only when I have to play that sone where I pluck 80,000 root notes really fast...
  20. Actually, when I use a pick, my pick hand gets tired first. But for the most part, it's my fret hand.