Fingerstyle Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by andytheashton, Jul 8, 2008.

1. andytheashton

andytheashton

Oct 31, 2007
    Hi people,

This is the first time I've posted a thread (I think) and I want some advice from some people who know what they're talking about.

I've been playing bass for about 10/11 years now and I'd say I'm pretty accomplished. I can get by in almost any musical situation. The advice I want is to improve my right hand picking technique, as right now it's pretty good (quite fast, accurate and I create a pretty good sound), but I want to go to the next level now.

What sort of exercises do the more advanced players on here use to improve/keep their technique on top form?

Thanks in advance
    Andy

2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I'm presuming you practice regularly anyway?

The best way to get your technique down (for both hands) is simply practice drills and scales... but concentrate on what each finger is doing and listen to the sound you're creating with each one. For example, your first and second fingers may have different attack power - one thing I suffered from before my teacher pointed it out.

It's a case of practicing from soft, to hard, muted, to open etc... making sure that your fingers do exactly what you intend them to do. Control is the key.

The same goes for any technique - slap, harmonics, tapping etc... the dynamics of your playing make a big difference to your sound.

I'm probably not as good as you on bass (I've only been playing for 4 or so years), but take the advice anyway... it's one of the things my teacher preaches to me, and she's been playing as a session bassist all over the world for many, many years. Some of the things she can do are amazing... so fluid, accurate and beautiful... complete control over her instrument.

3. andytheashton

andytheashton

Oct 31, 2007
    Hey mate, it doesn't matter how long someone's been playing. To me, if it's good advice, then it's good advice.

Only a closed mind wouldn't listen to someone for something like that.

Cheers!

4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

No probs matey! :)

5. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Hi, saw this topic and stopped by....one thing that helped me a lot to improve my right hand technique is playing something ( a scale, a lick, one full song...) with different dynamics but constant tempo : starting a scale from low dynamic to more aggressive touch without changing the tempo gives more touch-sesitivity to the fingers, or you may start from the high voulme and then change to soft dynamics without changing tempos...
    Another thing I found useful was playing patterns including lots of ghost notes:when you're playing dead notes your left hand may damp a bit the string, but also your right hand's touch is different...try to shift from the "normal-touch" to the "ghost-note-touch" and then back...may be interesting!
    Last but not least: I love playing the bass, and my main influences are of course bass players, but I found very useful (and funny too!:D) playing parts and solos from others musicians (especially horns); trying fingerings that are quite unusual on the bass will improve your hands techniques...try a Michael Brecker solo! (that guy was amazing, RIP...)
    Hope I've been useful, I gave my advices but I'll be forever a student!!:D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021