1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingerstyle tension

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cire113, Apr 30, 2010.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    I'm having problems with fingerstyle .. Should my arm be as relaxed as possible when plucking.. I can't seem to pluck consistent or fast.. It's also difficult because alot of funk I play I dig in hard ...

Advice on right hand tech tension economy of motion???

2. I used to play guitar. That being said, I actually have a harder time playing with a pick on bass.

If you want my advice... Go get an acoustic guitar and mess around with just finger plucking... or chicken pickin' as we call it in the south. It will help relax you up a bit.

I think that maybe you are concentrating too hard on your right hand technique. For me it just came naturally even though I use a different techniques when chicken pickin'.

Try it with just one finger and use the pad on your index ONLY. Play 1/4 note scales... does that feel o.k.? If not why?

Ox.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Try to keep alternating the fingers as often as possible. Start slowly and build up speed by degrees. My teacher advised me to to this with the bass unplugged while doing other things like watching T.V. etc. After a while it just comes natural. Instead of digging in, try hiring the volume on the amp instead, and play with a lighter touch.

The link below on R/H technique, hopefully will be helpful to you.