1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingerstyle vs Pick for Hard Rock/Stoner Rock Band

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Pick

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Fingers

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Hey Guys,

I want to start off by saying I have played using both techniques and enjoy both. I have jazz and metal experience so I have played both for long periods of time. When the band I am in started back in 2014 I was dead set on playing finger style. I think mainly because of the pride taken in it.

As my band writes more and more the stuff is becoming more guitar focused and the bass parts need to hold down rhythms rather that experimenting and playing fills. On top of this I play with dirt on the majority of the time. IMO I think dirt sounds better when a pick is being used.

Pros : Sounds better for dirt, would be easy to play the parts with a pick and can look cooler on stage (power stance lol)

Cons : I have to have picks on me all the time, not as proud as a bass player.

I asked my band and they could care less as long as I play the parts right. Just wanted to get the opinion of the bass player brother-en.

2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Yes

3. FilTurd

FilTurd

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Whatever works man...and please show a pic of power stance

4. A pick is nothing more than a tool in your toolbox. The more tools you have in your toolbox the more diverse you are as a player. Use the right tool for the right job . . .

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    To my mind those are two very good pros -- arguably three if that "cooler look" is important to your band's image -- and two very dumb cons. If you keep a bag of picks in your gig bag or bass case, you'll always have some, and in a pinch you can borrow one from a guitarist. As for the pride thing, get over it. Take pride in being able to do both, but there's no good reason to take more pride in one than the other.

That said, there is no reason for this to be an either-or decision. Use the pick for songs that work better with the pick, and don't for those that work better without.

MalcolmAmos likes this.
  6. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    For stoner I like to play right hand everywhere from bridge to up high on the neck, so not really into picks there. Outside that for big fast rock runs I love a pick.

My dream is to one day master the "teeth to finger" pick transition with masterful precision.

Lobster11 likes this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Both. If you can do it. No need to limit yourself to one option. Read up on the history of Bobby Vega. He started using one technique to keep up with the music, and eventually learned how to do both with many other styles of attack. But when it comes to picking, he is P-Funk with a pick, and uses a pick in a lot of ways.