Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Nov 3, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm self taught so there might be a technique overhaul if I find nessesary. I notice when alot of bassists play fingerstyle they atack their string perpendicular, and follow through all the way almost hitting the next string. However, when I play i sort of attack and an angle and pluck through, but going up a little. Is that ok? It might sound confusign so Ill elaborate if I need to

2. Most players do let their finger come to rest on the next string. That's called a rest stroke, and it sounds like you're doing free strokes, letting your finger just fly up into the air. Both are good techniques that I think everyone should be able to use. I use free strokes most of the time.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying about angles. A little more info on the angle you pluck at would be nice. As long as you're not making the strings rattle against your frets you're probably fine.

3. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    I know exactly what you mean. When I first started playing bass I did the exact same thing. IMO and in my teacher's opinion at the time this isn't a good thing that you (and I at the time) are doing. You need to carry all the way through the string like following through with a baseball throw or something along that nature..... The only time you should pluck and come out from the string is if you are playing multiple strings at one time and do not need to mute them by carrying your finger through. Learn to pluck all the way through the string to the next one and your tone will beef up quite a bit.

4. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Dude, I know what you meant too. When i first started i did the same exact thing too. My instructor told me the same thing, and I had to relearn all the excercises from the book.

5. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    It all depends on how hard you want to hit and how you want to control the resonance of your instrument. If you free stroke you can't hit as hard, but you could have the open string below the string you're hitting still ring out along with the note you played.

6. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I do realise when i follow through the whole string I get a beefier tone. But half the time It doesn't matter or make much of a difference. I have more speed doing it my way, but I will practice going all the way though..

Edit: Actually I just picked up the bass and started playing normally, it seems like my technique has changed because I started to use different muting techniques when I anchor my thumb. So now more than half the time I'm following through and only on some ocassions I don't by habbit. I'll keep practicing though thanks