Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingertip Trouble

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by istaticl, Apr 11, 2002.

1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    When I record onto my computer, I'll play my part or whatever and sometimes when I have to move from one fret to anotheron the same string, I'll get this bad screeching sound. I dont know how to edit it out, if you even can, or how to prevent it. I cant lift my entire finger off the string because it will be too slow. Does having hard figertips mean living with this screeching? Any suggestions or remodies are welcome. Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm afraid the best solution is to work on your technique, aim for the cleanest execution possible (or necessary). Recording is harder than playing live, because you hear EVERYTHING, every noise, every little mistake. Even John Pattitucci once said in an interview how shocked he was when he heard his first recorded track.

But don't be too critical on the other hand, most of the noise will be buried in the sound of the other instruments. And some noise even adds "character" to your bass track.

Turning down the highs can also help as long as long as it doesn't alter your sound too much.

3. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I too have noticed turning down the highs will help elimanate some of the screeching.

Steve

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I turned down my highs a bit, but I kind of like them where they were at before better. I was thinking, do you think that I could wear some thin gloves or something? It could work, has anyone tried this? I'm not talking about anything real thick, just those cheap little cotton ones.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, you can try the gloves, but that's no real solution.
    Try a lighter touch, especially in your fretting hand and work on clean execution.