Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finggering noise and fret buzzing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j3b3r, Jan 30, 2001.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    what (kind of) pickup can reduced the finggering noise or fret buzzing signal that sent to the amps ???

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Offhand, I don't know of any pickup that can, but how about your setup. Raising the strings/adjusting the neck relief can help with the noises caused by the action being set too low. These are typically the exact ones you are describing. I play with a very heavy right hand and was always getting farts and blips from my strings smacking the frets. Raising the action eliminated this in all but the most extreme situations.

FWIW
    -robert

3. nekro

nekro

Jan 23, 2001
    Yea the action can cause alot of iritating noises :)

There is one other thing that I found on my bass that may cause buzzing. I checked my Machine Heads and found that the finger grip part was loose, and whenever I was playing, it was vibrating.

Just a side thought :)

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Lotsa things can cause buzz and fret rattle, as others have pointed out. However, some pickups are a little more sensitive to these noises. I have a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 in one bass, and an SPB-2 in another. The SPB-3 is much more sensitive to rattles and technique problems, and is just generally a "clicky" pickup. String tension can make a big difference, too.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I get alot of fret/string noise when I start pulling harder on the strings usually when the band is playing LOUD. What I do is try to use a lighter touch (right hand) turn the high end down at about 5k on my amp(have the sound man do that on your channel on the mixing board too)My 410 cab has a tweeter in it so I make sure to crank that all the way UP so if I'm getting clicking noise I'm the first one to hear it and try to adjust my right hand touch accordingly.