Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish a bass with epoxy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by davepack, May 10, 2005.

1. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Anyone ever finish an entire bass (not just a fingerboard) with eboxy? I'm thinking a few thin coats of System 3 Mirror-Coat might give a nice, high-gloss finish.
    What do you guys think?

2. it'll be a lot more difficult than a regular wood finish, but, of course it can be done, if you have the dedication. Problem is all those particles that settle in epoxy while it's curing, you have to level those out which is a lot of work.

3. I did it on my last project, since I didn't have any polyurithane or colour. It was a straight build project, where the body and neck were bought but raw. The neck had frets in it, which I converted to a fretless. So I thought I'd use the epoxy to coat the wood, since I wanted a wood finish for the bass. For the neck, I did the fretboard first, then the rest of the neck. The body was straight forward.

I applied the epoxy with a brush, sponge thingy and cotton material. I used a brush on the first two coats, then a sponge thingy on the next few for a thinner coat, followed by a cotton material for the thinest coats - sanding between coats. I took care during the final sanding, then buffed it with a poslishing agent.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    pics?

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Wouldn't the epoxy be a little thick, or is there some watery stuff out there?

6. Yeah, it's thick, but you can thin it although I didn't. We were in early autumn in Australia, it was still hot. so I had to plan the application. Applying to the fretboard is easy. Application to the neck was ok, but the body is challenging when applying with the sponge thingy and material. Also, it's not a good idea to apply a very thick coat with the brush, because the brush leaves streaks that have to be sanded flat. So, by the time the coat is sanded, it's not as thick as intended.

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    That looks pretty nice. That finish has to be hard as a rock too.

8. Yeah, it is a hard finish, not bad for a quick build. I updated the full length pics (newer and after Baddass II bridge saddles were cut) and added a pic with a closer focus on the action.