1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

finish coming off neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stormer, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    I have a pbass which i got a few years ago. (its a '95 mia)
    The guy who owned it before me had dropped it once and there are a few cracks in the finish.
    Recently bits of the finish have started to fall off and i can see that there is no actual damage to the neck. What i want to know is, should i treat the bare wood to prevent any moisture damage in the future ?
    I really like the satin feel of the wood and wouldnt want to do a complete re-finish.

2. Most likely ur sweat and oils from your playing has sort of sealed the wood so I doubt enough moisture would get in there to do any damage.

3. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Almost sounds like the candy-coating on an M&M! General question for the pros: Does the finish really just "sit" on the underlying wood or is there enough adhesion so a residual amount remains intact?

Riis

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Interesting question. I'm not sure but it seems that modern resins (polyxxxxxs) are essentially glues that lie on the surface. They chip off and leave little or no residue. Someone who is more experienced with this subject should chime in.

As far as a repair or the OP, leaving the exposed parts bare will only attract dirt and oil. It will eventually look ugly. Drop filling with CA glue is the way to go. Once leveled, the gloss can be matched by gauging the abrasives.