1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finish cracks

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Warpeg, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    As I was looking over my bass to examine an issue having to do with a rattling sound, I discovered that the finish was beginning to crack where the neck meets the body. It’s on both sides of the neck, but appears to only affect the finish. The cracks are very small. Is this something to worry about?

25C2BD67-85C4-484E-BE10-0C995384F54B.

8B466D49-E2B1-44D7-9DB7-D6706229B697.

2. What kind of bass is it?

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    It’s a plywood bass, made in China. Specially, it’s made by Galveston. I’ve not been able to find much of any info on their basses.

4. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I wouldn't worry about it. ... Do you pick up the bass by the neck? ... Remember it's made out of wood and wood moves. ... If your neck joint starts popping out then you've got something to worry about.

5. That explains a few things. Start saving up.

jsf729, DrayMiles and salcott like this.
  6. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, it's got blessings from both luthiers and instructors as a quality instrument that should get me through the next 5-10 years. I understand your judgement on the subject, but, aside from trying to understand the criticality of the tiny finish cracks, the rest of the instrument is verified to be in perfect working order, it plays wonderfully and sounds beautiful.

Thanks. I'll probably have my luthier look it over just be sure. When it comes to where I pick the bass up....I guess I didn't know that there was a correct way to pick it up. Is picking it up by the neck a bad idea? Is there a better/preferred way of picking it up?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks. I'll probably have my luthier look it over just be sure. When it comes to where I pick the bass up....I guess I didn't know that there was a correct way to pick it up. Is picking it up by the neck a bad idea? Is there a better/preferred way of picking it up?[/QUOTE]

It's not unusual to pick it up by the neck but, a good habit is using both hands one on the neck and one at the F-hole. ... They're amazingly solid instruments once they settle in. ... They don't like direct heat. I live near Toronto and get hot, humid summers and freezing cold winters but my old carved bass rarely moves. Though, through the winter, when I go south, I leave her in a cooler area in her gig bag. ...

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Pick the bass up by the heel with the other hand on the C bout. Don't use an f hole as a handle!

Kickdrum, DoubleMIDI and gerry grable like this.
  9. Blues56

Blues56

Oct 27, 2012
    NJ
    John Goldsby gives a good lesson here on how to handle a bass.

10. I was taught to never pick the bass up by the F hole. Even if it's a plywood instrument. You run a high risk of snapping off the part of the top that you are holding on to...

11. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Just following up to see if anyone has any more input on the finish cracks. It’s going to be several weeks before I can get the bass to the luthier and I need to use the bass quite a bit in that time.

A previous poster mentioned that it may not be much to worry about. But, alas, I keep worrying. Haha. My concern is that the cracking is evidence of the neck joint failing. Has anyone seen cracking like this before or have any other ideas of what could be going on?

12. Pray.

What passes for a neck set in a lot of those low-dollar Chinese basses is a sick joke.

Respectfully: buy cheap, get cheap.

13. I'm guessing that if the neck joint starts to fail, you'll see your action going higher. You may feel it first. A good idea would be to measure your action now so you'll have a baseline to compare it with down the road.

If you're really concerned about the neck joint and you can't have it seen by a luthier now, and if you do have to continue playing it for a while, you might put low tension strings on your bass just to give the neck joint as easy a job as possible.