1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finish didn't adhere to paint.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spacelordmother, Apr 18, 2009.

1. I did my research and it all seemed to be working...

I finished a maple neck using wipe-on poly and everything seems fine everywhere except the matching headstock which is painted. I didn't see any problems initially, but a piece of finish came off last night when I had the headstock taped to prevent damage while I was widening the tuner holes to more easily accept the bushings.

Should I have used a different finish over paint?

What should my next steps be?

Thanks for all the help. :bawl:

2. Any new finish, needs something to adhere to. Normally, the existing surface would have to be sanded or deglossed. Also, the old surface would need to be cleaned with a solvent to remove any old waxes, oils, etc. My guess is you did not prep the headstock.

3. Whenever I paint, I like to apply a thin coat of compatible clear before the paint is totally dry. Not wet mind you - but before it is totally dry to the touch. Then when that first clear coat is dry, I can scuff-sand it and build up any kind of clear coat I want over the top.

Much has been said about scuffing the paint layer before you apply the first clear coat, but I personally have never had success with this, there are always scratches visible through the first layer of clear. If you seal the paint with a compatible clear, then you can scuff that and get on with building your clear coat.

The key is that the first layer of clear over the paint has to be "compatible" - and that is best determined by testing on scrap.

4. How would I go about prepping the paint to take the finish if I also have a decal that is to be applied?

5. I would lay the decal onto the paint just before shooting the first (compatible) clear coat. Then be careful to not sand into it when you scuff-sand - this could be tricky if your decal paper is on the thick side, be careful around the edges.