Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish Fix

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blackreverend, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    I've got a Lakie 55-94 that has a few bad dents in the body; I was thinking about filling it in with superglue ala Dan Erlwine's book, but dont know what he says about polyester fnishes, which is what the Lakland has. Anyone with experience or an opinion here?

All Help is Appreciated,
    Blackreverend

2. Go for it! The polyester is perfectly compatible with the CA glue. If the chip has some white showing, just dab in a little black nail polish before filling with the CA. I use one of the small flat jewelers files to file down the glue after it cures. It works like a autobody file the paint shops use. It should only catch where the CA is and run smoothly over the adjacent finish. After you've filed and wetsanded it smooth, you can polish it with Meguiars Swirl Remover Glaze. A little elbow grease and those chips will be invisible.

3. Hi is this article about using CA glue as a filler available on-line?

I've got a wicked crack that needs filling. I assume CA glue is sandable?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    CA is great for very small dings and such. However, if the ding is a little larger, it may be tough to get it to build up significantly. In the past, I have had very good results using a clear, two-part epoxy to fill larger/deeper areas. Once hardened, it can be easily sanded and buffed.

I suggest going light on the hardener if using two-part. It will set more slowly, so you'll have to patient, but it will also setup harder overall. More importantly, it will cure less cloudy using less hardener.

Also, just as an FYI, either can be mixed with a little sanding dust from wood to make a nice wood filler. I have done this a few times with rosewood and ebony and it matches amazingly well. Using CA, you just pack your repair area with the sanding dust and drop the CA on top. With epoxy, you mix the two together and work it into the repair area with a toothpick or like.