Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RS, Jan 8, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm buying a korina body from Warmoth. What is the easiest and best way to finish it? I think I'd like a light oil finish. Any recommend brands? Any advice on applying it? etc. Thanks.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The easiest and best way (IMHO) to finish a natural wood is to use Tung Oil.
    Just make a way to hang the body and rub the tung oil in with your hands, don't leave it on thick at all or it will drip. It will take several coats letting each one dry for at least 24-48 hrs. and maybe go over each coat (after dry of course) with a super fine steel wool before applying the next coat. Thats all you need to do, and future touchups are easy.
    The bass will smell funny from the tung oil for up to a couple of years but it's no big deal and the smell will eventually all go away.
    Here is a pic of my ash Jazz that I did with tung oil about 11 years ago (it's got wear that I've never touched up because it doesn't bother me):

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey z-

ive got a fairly new carvin thats finished in tung oil. theres no major blemishes.... but shoudl there be how would i go about touching it up? just sand and put more oil on it? just outta curiosity.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    If that's all they used is tung oil and nothing else, then it should be ok just to maybe sand the spot a little then put on some more tung oil.
    But there may be slight variations in color from different brands of tung oil, plus the age of the original finish could make a difference too, but all-in-all it wouldn't concern me too much.
    You might be able to find out from Carvin what brand they used too if it's of concern to you.
    As you can gather, I'm not a guy that has to have a cosmetically perfect bass.