1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finish help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parislyons, Jan 16, 2012.

1. parislyons

parislyons

Jan 16, 2012
    I'm buying a Musicman Stingray 5 soon, but I'm getting slightly confused about the colour. I want a proper, pure white for the finish but I'm not sure that Musicman do this. Their 'white' finish looks like cream from the site, can anyone testify as to what the white and pearl white finishes look like in person? Pics would be helpful. Thanks

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Music Man have basically 3 different "whites".

White is pure white, no metalflake at all.

Then there's White Pearl as you've mentioned above which is also pure white but WITH fine metalflake in it.

They have Classic White, which is cream based and not nearly as white as the previously mentioned whites.

EBMM limit which version of white is available on their basses. In other words, not all three whites are available on every model of bass.

Here are my two "white" EBMM basses. They're about 16 mths old and were manufactured at the sametime.

The Big Al 5-H on the left is standard White and the Classic Stingray 5 on the right is "classic white" which has that aged white creamy look to it. White Pearl looks very similar to the standard White, but it tends to have a very slight tint of grey in it when compared to the standard white. Without the comparison, you'd never know it.

photo_1_A.

Here's a couple of closer views.

BigAl_5_H_table_A.

photo_4_A.

TD

3. parislyons

parislyons

Jan 16, 2012
    Ahah thanks a lot. This really helps.