Finish on a Warmoth body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Any body here ever do their own finish job on a bass? I got a swamp ash P body that I am going to finish and need some suggestions.

The guys at Warmoth said I can use a wipe on poly finish.

Anybody ever tried this?

I want something that is going to darken the color a bit but I don't want a tung oil only finish.
  2. This is the color I'm going for. The unfinished pieces of ash I have seen are super light colored. I want something that will give it this slightly darker look.
  3. Sir Count - Hold off on purchasing any materials until you actually see your own piece. Ash can vary greatly in color and you'll be better off to judge your stain against the actual natural wood.

You won't have to do much staining to achieve your selection. As a matter of fact, if you do a polymerized (hardens into a buffable skin) tung oil finish, you might not have to stain at all since the oil has a light color of it's own. You can also use Tru-Oil for getting this color. Tru-Oil is the preferred finish of gunsmiths for stock finishing. It builds into a deep, fairly glossy, buffable finish and is very tough.

If you do need to stain a bit, it should be pretty easy. Ash is hard enough so that the stain won't soak in quickly and you can build a color slowly, without it getting too dark. A gel stain is perfect and I would recommend Minwax Antique Maple to get your color. But don't just stop at the stain itself! After you stain, begin applying the oil finish and you'll really be surprised at the depth and lustre you can achieve.

Best advice is to not get into a rush. If you'll take a couple of weeks (yep, it could take that long) to stain and build a good deep oil finish, you won't have to do much to maintain it later. And, you'll be much more happy with the color by going slow and making every step count.

If you want more info about this type of process, try the MIMF at The finishes forum and archive will be an education in and of itself.

Hope this helps.
  4. I just saw that ReRanch offers a clear gloss in a spray can. I may end up going with that.