Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finish on buckeye

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by si_mon13, Jan 3, 2004.

finish

Poll closed Feb 2, 2004.
  1. satin

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. gloss

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. other (specify)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    Im ordering my 4 string custom shuker and i chose buckeye burl as top.

What finish should i go for on a buckeye, satin or gloss? or something else perhaps.

please post pictures of your buckeye basses :D

2. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Ummm... Shuker basses er great!
    Hvad må du slippe for den?
    Btw. I would go for gloss finish, just my opinion..:D

3. I think it depends on the buckeye. If it's mostly dark, I prefer a gloss finish. If it's lighter with allot of gray and cream, I like the satin finish.

Either will look great. It's really your preference.

Jeff

4. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    jeg tror det bliver omkring 12000 :/ lidt mere end jeg havde regnet med men det går nok.

thanks for quick replys.

the buckeye piece:
    [​IMG]

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree with Jeff on using gloss for darker buckeye and satin for lighter. I had a gloss finish put on my new buckeye bass-I should have pictures to upload this afternoon.

6. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    thanks for the replys so far.
    what would you use on that piece ive got there?

7. i think I would defo go with a Gloss finish on Buckeye'd ive seena MTD and Fodera with a gloss finish and it loo0ked amazing cause Gloss brings out the beauty of the woood....

I saw a Sei with a satin Buckeye finish and altho it was great.. didnt have the same depth....

Also... what Shuker did you order?....Ive been toying between getting another GB or a Shuker.. Ive heard lotsa goood things about them.. been to Shuker factory and played a few and they sounded great tho the necks werent to my taste..but i know u can get it custom so0o thats okay...the only thing i found on the Shuker Bass compared to the GB was it range of tones wasnt as great.. (being GB's +/- 21db da best :p)...

Anyway i want a Buckeye top with a Mapel fingerboard..loooks fantasticall....

Let us know how it plays. and piccys piccy piccys...:D

8. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    Im getting a custom bolt-on 4. birdseye maple fingerboard, wenge/maple neck, swampash body.

what didn't you like about the necks? what could it be compared to? fender jazz necks?

9. I would wait to make the decision. See what it looks like once it is shaped. Then, you can put naptha on it to get an idea of what it will look like with finish.

BTW, nice color!

Jeff

10. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    Perhaps i'll just do that, thanks for all the help.

great avatar, kinda reminds me of a faith no more song.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here we go, my new one:
    [​IMG]
    The gloss looks really nice on it-I imagine with that beautiful bluish piece you have it would look even better.

12. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    that looks really good, i've actually not seen such a plain piece before. I hope so, i think im going for the gloss.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Congratulations, si_mon! I'm sure you'll enjoy working with Jon.

I'd probably go for the gloss myself. My amboyna/African walnut basses are done in satin, which I'm happy with, but something about your top says "gloss" to me.

I love the necks on my Shukers myself, though since they're 6s, they're not necessarily indicative of what yours would be like. But here's something you can think about. Are there any basses you've tried that you think have the perfect neck? If so, try to measure them and send the figures to Jon. If you give him, say, nut width, width at the 24th fret, and maybe neck thickness at the 1st and 12th, and give a general idea of the shape you like (round, D, C, square, whatever), he can probably get close.

14. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    hey richard, thanks for your great reply. i'm into standard j necks, i think he can get pretty close.

15. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    nah you want a walnut top!!!:D

[​IMG]

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would personaly look to go with gloss, protect your top!. :)

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with Major Metel. Buckeye burl is a fairly soft top when you consider the densities of most top woods. While it isn't as easy to ding up as cedar, it certainly isn't along the lines of a coco bolo or walnut/maple/etc. I'd go with the gloss for the extra protection.