Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finish on (ebony) fretless fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by nothingman78, May 1, 2002.

1. nothingman78

nothingman78

Feb 27, 2002
    u.s.a-l.a
    I heard "Pedulla" fretless bass does finish on the
    ebony fingerboard with polly-utherane(?)...
    If the ebony is the strongest fingerboard, why they coated polly..on ebony? Is it necessary to finish on
    ebony fingerboard to protect for using roundwound
    string?
    Does "Zon" fretless bass also coated fingerboard to protect the fingerboard for using rounwound string?

Will coating(polyester) on ebony fingerboard(fretless) increse buzzing on the neck? or bridge?
    'cause sustain is too good and attack is too strong?

do you recommend any good roundwound strings?
    some people say nickle plate one is best...is that
    true?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think with Pedulla the coating is more for tone than anything - that glassy sound is the signature of Pedulla fretlesses, and part of it is in the high-gloss finish.

Zon use various different fingerboard materials, the most interesting to me being pheno-wood, which is wood impregnated with phenolic resin, to make it harder...

As for roundwounds - I use Nickel bass centre elites (the player series), but on fretless use Elites flatwounds, and prefer the tone. I think Nickel is generally a slightly softer material than Stainless Steel and therefor may do less damage, but unless you're using a particularly soft fingerboard wood, the board shouldn't need redressing more than every four or five years...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk