Finish poll...which to you prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Jun 17, 2005.

1. I'm ole' school-Lacquer/Nitrocellulose

73 vote(s)
  2. I'm new school-Polyurethane

47 vote(s)
  3. I understand the differences between the two and don't have a preference

58 vote(s)
  4. I don't understand the differences and don't care. Stop asking me these stupid questions!

70 vote(s)
  1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    With respect to the finish on your J and P type basses (sherwood green, 3-color sunburst, olympic white, candy apple red, etc.), which type of finish do you prefer?

Do you like the old school type of finish, like a nitrocellulose, or do you prefer a polyurethane finish?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oly White or black.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Wait a minute....the poll isn't about colors. You guys jumped the gun! :D I'm asking about types of finishes!!! :D
  4. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Depends on the bass.
  5. I like what a teacher friend had done to his P-bass when he was young & dumb(his words): he had stripped it & re-'finished' it w/linseed oil. It looked cool, though I would only do something like that if I came into a half-started project, and I would use tung oil.
  6. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I love nitro finished instruments. In fact, I've become so much a snob that I will only play nitro finished instruments. Why? I love the way nitro ages, feels, and how it let's the instrument breathe!

I just finished building my own bass and it is completely finished in nothing but nitro! (sunburst too!)
  7. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what is the difference between the two finished :confused: :help:
  8. Differences? Pros? Cons?
  9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I've had experiences with both and I think that for basses, polyurethane is the way to go - especially so if you're in a place with rather extreme climatic conditions.
  10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Natural, just oil it a bit.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For my 'traditional' style basses I prefer Nitro...same with guitars. They just feel and look and age better with nitro. My Ice blue metallic has aged to a lovely off-green color...and that wouldn't have happened with poly.

For more modern stuff, I think Poly is ok, since it tends to look better longer and wears tougher.

I didn't vote, since choosing both wasn't an option.
  12. I prefer lacquer. I've done basses with both poly and nitro and I think lacquer is a better finish for instruments because it builds better and I prefer that thick finish. Some people say poly provides protection and gives a better 'sound' because it's more flexible and allows the wood to vibrate ....I don't agree that it makes a difference in sound, but to each it's own. But poly is ok for an easy to do finish and less toxic dangers.
  13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    You can, the third option is that you understand the difference but don't have a preference.

14. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Poly guy myself, as it just stands up better than lacquer. All of my favorite sounding basses (that I've purchased or built) are poly with one exception being hand rubbed oil.

15. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

On the basis of this poll: poly

Overall: Poly or oil, with oil on natural "colored" woods (like zebra, walnut, and other exotics) and poly on colored, ash/alder woods.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Poly is more durable.

OTOH, a nitro neck feels soooooo sexy.

So, I think Sadowsky might have it right: poly body, nitro neck. But I'd probably rather have all-poly than all-nitro... I've played some very nice satin poly necks.

P.S. I also think the standard MTD USA finish is wonderful... but the question seems to be limited to nitro vs. poly on a Fender-style instrument.
  17. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Turtle Wax works for me.
  18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I prefer the slight warm orange of rubbing the wood down with a few carrots.
  19. Nitro for me.

I don't like the laminated feel of a poly (wants a cracker) urethane finish.

And any kind of sunburst in the red-gold-brown family. :cool: