1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finish Question??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Mig, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Hey all,
    This is my first post so I am sorry if I sound like a noob. I have a 79' Fender P-Bass that was given to me by my Grandfather who long passed away. I love to play it and cherish it since it was from him.
    Now here is where a question comes in. I have some paint that has worn away over the years on the bass. Little specks here and there, I guess you'd call em' dings. I like the worn look so should I just get a little clear nail polish like some recommend, or is there no need? Am I worrying over nothing? I have always thought that the exposed wood, even just little bits would hurt the wood.
    Can you guys give me some advice? Thanks to all!!!!

2. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I wouldn't (and don't) give it a second thought. Play and enjoy.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'll find that older Fenders are actually well-liked if they sport what's called "mojo", i.e. the nicks, dings, and wear of years of heavy playing. People actually pay good money to have their basses "relic'ed" to look that way, and you can buy a brand new "relic" from Fender for twice the price of an unmarred new bass. The little bits of exposed wood are no big deal, the wood will not be harmed.

4. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks for your help guys. I read in a book about maintaining your bass that you should never let cracks or dings go. Those spots have been exposed for years and the bass is still awesome. Again thanks for your help. IF anyone else wants to post there thoughts on this topic? Then please do it here.