1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finish questions RE: current model Squier... Doing some upgrade work.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Big Hoss, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I am doing a custom build of a 2015 Squier Affinity Jazz, and no small part of my decision to base my build off this bass is the Burgundy Mist finish... I am replacing the bridge with a Squier Classic Vibe 60s High Mass bridge and the holes don't line up quite right. So I need to fill and drill the outers. That leaves me with a problem... How to protect the new bass finish, and have a good registration against the body for lining up the new bridge for the install. I was planning on doing this with Frog tape, but my concern is if this paint or clear, is Lacquer that could prove to be a severe problem using normal masking tape...

What can I use to keep the teeth of my Japanese pull saw, and the grit of my sandpaper OFF of the finish while I do the fill and drill?

I am also color matching the headstock face, and applying an OEM type / duplicate headstock logo with a MINOR change. The headstock logo I am getting in actually spells out Jazz Bass, my current just labels it J Bass... That's it. Not trying to slide it by as a vintage Fender or anything...

What I am wondering, are there any other sources aside from Guitar Reranch for the Burgundy Mist paint?

Is the paint itself metal flake or is it a multi step primer / color / color / clear with flake / clear with flake / clear / clear type process?

How do I insure the line between painted headstock face, and not painted surfaces is RAZOR sharp?

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    For paint you can get Reranch or Graceys, I have used automotive paint from a 96 ford color chart.
    The paint is already a one step metallic paint with color and metallic base mixed, so you need primer, color, and clear.