Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish repairs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Coatze, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Coatze

Coatze

Feb 26, 2006
    Hiyas,
    I have been eyeing a G&L w/ burst finish (blue to black), but it has 1a slight problem. There is serious wear on the back of it, from a belt buckle i assume. I think its worn all the way to the wood, or near enough. My question is, can i leave it as is or could i put some minwax poly on it or something else to just seal it and protect it?

*edit* i did see some other posts on this, but im lookin to avoid breakin out lacquer and spraying it on. I lack the equipment or previous experience to do anything extensive

Thanks,
    James

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Here are a couple of quick and dirty solutions.

1) If the looks aren't a problem, just use some thin superglue to seal up the holes in the finish. It'll protect the wood nicely and it's really easy to apply. Just put a drop into each nick and let it set up. If you overfill the holes you can carefully sand and polish until everything is flat and shiny again.

2) If you don't want the marks visible from a distance, you could try to find some matching nail polish. It'll protect well enough (better if you give it a quick bit of clear overtop) and you should be able to get the colour close enough that people can't tell from a few feet away.

3) If it needs to look perfect, then you could always refinish the whole dang thing. Even refinishing just the back would be an option. If you don't have the gumption to do it yourself there are plenty of places to get a high quality refinish on your instrument.

4) And finally, you could always just put a bit of polyurethane on there. Blending it to the existing finish might be a trick since it's much more of a wide area application than superglue, but it'd protect just fine.

Good luck with it, and don't forget some pics if it turns out awesome.

-Nate

3. Coatze

Coatze

Feb 26, 2006
    Thanks, sounds like superglue is a very easy option lol. I really just want to protect it so sounds like i can do that effectivly and easily.

Thanks again!