Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish Suggestions for Zebrawood top?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NicJimBass, Jul 18, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I'm in the process of building my first custom bass. The body is Ash with a beautiful, tight-grained zebrawood top. I've never finished a bass before, so I'm trying to find something easy to work with, but that will give me a nice finish. I like the color of the wood, so I'm thinking some sort of high-gloss clearcoat, that brings out the depth and subtleties of the wood. I've been looking at some finish products from Stewart-McDonald, mainly the vinyl sealer, grain filler and clear coat. Does this sound good, or is there something that would work better for my wood combination? Do you need more info to suggest something? Thanks in advance!!

Nick

2. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Tru oil. $4.00. Wal mart.

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    tru oil is a cheap beutiful finish, but if you're going for that high gloss clear coat look, i'd reccomend polyurithane. it looks great and goes on in three different ways. you can buy a spray can, hand rub it on with "wipe on polly" like oil, or brush it on. it's about twice the price of a can of tru-oil, but if it's the look you're going for, in my opinion, there's nothing better. the Nitrocellulose laqure they sell on stew mac is ok, but I like polly because it lets the guitar vibrate freely as opposed to laqure which tends to dampen the vibrations

Minwax Polly btw can be bought at wal-mart or homedepot (and alot of other places too) for about eight fifty

4. #2 for the truest of oil, it doesn't get any easier either, about 5 coats on Zebra looks great. And touch ups and repairs are cake, you'll never see a difference from old to new. I've re-scraped the arm curve 3 times and you still can't tell it wasn't the original finish. You could always poly over top if you wanted to.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Dirk

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I've already got a small bottle of tru-oil....

is that enough to finish the entire body, or should I buy anotehr bottle?

Also, tru-oil on ash.... still as good as on zebra?