Finish Suggestions - not relic

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by junglejimuk, Mar 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. junglejimuk

junglejimuk

Feb 28, 2019
    Hi All, a few years ago I was lucky enough to get a badly looked after Fender MIM Jazz 2006, dirt cheap. The previous owner must've hated this thing 'cos it was badly battered, with dings in the neck, cracked magnets in the pickups, and chunks out of the paintwork on the body. It wasn't that the guy had tried to relic it, more like it was a stunt bass that got smashed into walls... I changed out the pups for SD QP's and swapped out the control plate for the concentric pot jobbies, took it to a luthier and got it setup - so it plays like a dream. To make it so the chipped out chunks didn't cut through my skin I filed/sanded down the bits where I often rest my right arm, I'm not trying to relic this (I have nothing against relics btw) I just want this as playable as possible. Where I've removed paint there is always an edge that after hours of playing becomes uncomfortable. See photos. Is there something I should do to 'seal' the edges?? IMG_4567.jpg

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would use a random orbital sander and keep it moving over the paint/wood edges until you get them more comfortable. Then simple paint.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Are you thinking solid color? If so you could potentially bondo the bad spots then sand to shape, rough the finish on the whole thing and paint. Obviously fir any sort of natural you'll have to sand the whole thing back. Solid color from the factory often indicates not the nicest or best matched pieces of wood beneath, though you never know. Are you planning on spray painting? There is a thread dedicated to that, might be a good spot for tips and insights:

Rattle Can Refinish Club

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Are you wanting to strip and refinish the bass or just make the current finish more comfortable? Nothing wrong with leaving it as. I would use some Tru Oil on the exposed wood.

If you are going to for a total refinish, a nice deep blue base coat with a metallic orange flake coat over top would be my suggestion.

5. junglejimuk

junglejimuk

Feb 28, 2019
    Just wanted to 'stabilise' the current finish and stop the edge of the varnish being sharp...

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sand the “sharp” edges until they’re smooth enough for you. Next, get some wipe-on polyurethane and seal-up the bare wood. Then, someday, if you ever want to make it pretty, (with a little prep work) you should be able to paint over the poly.

junglejimuk likes this.
  7. junglejimuk

junglejimuk

Feb 28, 2019
    Sounds like a plan - Thanks

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    If all you want to do is remove the edges from the thick poly finish where it is cracked off, and don't care about the cosmetic factor, painting a thick layer of clear varnish over the cracks, doing so by applying several thin layers that you let surface dry before applying the next, and, to make sure you got a completely smooth transition, starting from just slightly outside the cracks so that it covers the edges of the chipped off poly finish fully, and then painting the whole bare wood area with varnish as well, should make the transition from the intact finish to the cracks much softer and smoother and remove the sharp edges.

Make sure to paint it so that the varnish is equally distributed and smooth, though just a thin layer of varnish outside of the edges of the cracks (perhaps consisting of just a couple of thin layers), as said to ensure a smooth transition, and then a much thicker layer fully filling up the cracks, eventual sanding it over with really fine grained sandpaper after you applied the last layer of varnish to ensure you got an absolute smooth surface, or you would have achieved nothing in terms of making the area more comfortable for you hand arm to glide over/rest on.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    junglejimuk likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021