Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish Suppliers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kelly Lee, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, I have searched and read so many threads my eyes hurt. I give!

I have decided to dye my bass a medium blue and will top it off with a wipe on gloss polyurethane. Who makes/offers a good water based blue dye? Who makes a wipe on poly that won't or will minimize changing the shade of blue? This is going on my basswood body. I know it isn't a preferred wood for doing this but I want to try it anyways.

Any links to suppliers/manufacturers that offer products that would work (other than Stew-Mac & Reranch) would be much appreciated.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Stew-Mac (stewmac.com) has water-based dyes, but they're only sold in primary and secondary colors (and brown, I think) so you'd have to mix a bit to get just the right shade.

Also, LMII (lmii.com) has finishing supplies, but I don't know if they have water-based dyes. And for reference, ReRanch.com, but I'm pretty sure they only do nitrocelluose finish.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Basswood should be fine for this.

I think you're going to struggle a bit if you try to do a wipe-on poly over the dye. The poly is going to wick the dye, I suspect, and depending on how you wipe it on, some of the dye may end up in your rag. Should you have to break out the sandpaper you are going to have to be very careful not to sand through to bare wood as well. The wipe-on stuff does not build as well as the sprays.

I started doing a blue bass with wipe-on poly and ended up spraying over it.

The Color Tone that Stew-Mac sells seems pretty good.

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I must be looking in the wrong place :confused: as I can't find any water-based dyes at Stew-Mac. Wait a minute, are these the right ones:ColorTone Concentrated Liquid Stain

Thanks. Your the first person to give be a positive when it comes to basswood.

Hmm. Maybe I will have to switch to a spray-on poly. Who makes a decent spray-on in aerosol or for spray equipment? Would an airbrush be sufficient or do I need to use my regular spray gun?

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Why do you want to do a wipe-on finish? If you have a spray gun, then use it! An airbrush should work, but it will take a loooong time. Mix the color tone into your lacquer or poly and shoot a couple tinted coats followed by several clear coats and wet-sanding.

Wiping in dyes is a pain in the butt. Getting the color applied evenly is a pain and the water will raise the grain making it fuzzy and in need of sanding.

I've done a couple of basses using min-wax aerosol polyurethane, which can come out okay. But the basses I've done with Hood Magnashield (lacquer) and a spray rig have been much, much better.

6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Unfortunately, I do not have a place to spray nearby. I'm currently living in an apartment complex. All my serious equipment is about 40 miles away at my FnL's house. I guess to do it right I might just have to make the trip each day.

I'll have to look into that Magnashield. Thanks.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    There's not really anything wrong with basswood, IMO. It's just too soft.