Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finish wear on Sadowsky Standard models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 12, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For those who play fingerstyle and anchor a thumb on the neck or bridge pickups have you noticed any finish wear above the pick up ?. Thanks

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Rogers paint is catalized polyurethane so it's pretty tough. Mine is holding up just fine but my thumbnail isn't hitting it and I don't press down very hard...

3. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    One of mine is 14 years old and has NO finish wear yet.......and I play it everyday!

4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    ive had one a couple weeks and can tell the paint is nice. where do they get there pickguards from though? mine is so crappy. everytime i touch it it scratches.

5. MAJOR METAL

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I consider that sort of wear a badge of honor anyway :D

7. There is a reason why they call it a PICK guard..
    If you are considering a pickguard and you play fingerstyle, go for the vintage mojo vibe if are considering a pickguard on your new Sad! Any Sadowksy will hold up for at least 20 years I'm sure. Paintjob is 100% ok.

R.

8. MAJOR METAL

After confering with my Talk Bass Brethern I came to realize my Eternal Salvation would come into question if i put a pickguard over the figured top on my Sadowsky bass in the works. ;)

9. If you're concerned, you have a few options. Roger has done clear pickguards secured with small pieces of double sided tape in several different styles. Another option would be to cut a very small piece of clear material and secure it where you rest your fingers.

That said, I have no wear on any of my Sadowskys. I have learned, however, to rest my fingers on the strings most of the time (from having a Lightwave). IMO, this is a better technique as it help in muting strings.

Good luck!
    J