Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finished another one

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by paintandsk8, Feb 12, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Looks good! I was curious about the thinned Tru-oil you mentioned, since I didn't see the original thread concerning that. Can you tell me more about that?

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The original thread is 7 or 8 pages back on the luthiers corner, but i'll save you the trouble.

Tru-oil is a type of wood finish that alot of us amteur builders have been having great success with. It's normal use is as a gun-stock finish. But it is an oil that you wipe on, and then it hardens. You then buff it with steel wool for a satin finish.

The purpose of thinning it was to make it soak into the wood more, so it wood amber the maple a little more than usual. If you want more info you want more info you can search the luthiers corner, there has been lots of discussion about it.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, a lot of my uke building buddies have been using Tru-oil with great results. Thanks for the info.

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I use tru oil *sealer*, (not the final finish) on my fingerboards. It *helps* to keep the wood stable when climate conditions change. It doesn't affect the feel of the wood at all. I got this tip from Rick Turner, who by the way is building beatiful ukes. They are called "Compass Rose" by Renaissnce Guitars.

Rick has also co-designed and built some of Bunny Brunels EUB"s.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wow, I just Googled Rick's ukes up...those are some beautiful instruments. Nice to see 'em in something other than mahogany or koa.

Sorry...back to basses!