Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finished Fingerboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Feb 9, 2005.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello all you TBers, I would like your input regarding finished fingerboards. I have a new Linc Luthier bass, and I think Linc always uses the glossy finish on the fingerboard on his fretted instruments. I know he uses a satin finish on the fingerboards of his fretless basses, and the neck on mine is satin. I have another Linc bass that I had the fingerboard satined a while back and liked it better, so I decided to go ahead and have my local luthier satin this one too. I hope I made a smart decision. The fingerboard is ebony, with stripes of maple inlaid. Let me know what you all think.

2. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Uh hello? Do I get any input?

3. I really don't know what difference a satin vs gloss finish would make on the fingerboard of a fretted instrument....

4. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, the difference should be somewhat obvious. A gloss finish will get a little sticky, and show fingerprints, but will be like glass, very shiny. A satin finish will feel smooth, and won't get sticky, but might appear a little cloudy. Did I do the right thing? :crying: :eek:

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, if you like the look, that's all that matters. Just keep it clean, and it should do you well. If you don't use too heavy of a touch, your finish shouldn't have any problems. Rubbing roundwound strings on any finish wouldn't be too good. Are you talking about JUST the fingerboard, or the neck as well? Underneath the strings, you shouldn't have to worry about how it will affect the feel. Your fingers should be touching the strings, not the fretboard. And I don't really think the strings will complain either way.