1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

finished for now...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    After getting paid at lunchtime for last weeks gigs and CD sales, I put my 60 notice in with the GP/BL of my main gigging trio. Too much travel out of town, too much too much last year (150+ shows). I've neglected too many things and folks during the past 15 months, and I can play in town for as good/better pay, I've had some offers, and because of that I feel ok dictating what I will and won't do.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but it just wasn't as much fun anymore. I still love playing blues, and I'll still cover a date or two with them when they need it, but for now I'm 60 days out and counting. Thanks for the memories!

I feel better......I think. :meh:

:eyebrow:

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I predict that a guy who calls himself Blueszilla won't stay idle for long.

But nothing wrong with a bit of "regroup" time. :p

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You'll have fits of regret and anticipation over the coming weeks, but once you start getting involved with others and into a gigging routine that better fits your preference you'll be happy.

Personally it's gigging 2 times a month for me. Keeps it fresh and anticipation high, but keeps me involved and doing something.

4. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

I'm totally down with 'regrouping'. After I got home yesterday, I called the GP back to see if his old bassist was interested in coming back. turns out he wants the gig, and so I told him I'd do the two next week and then he could take over. Went from 60 days to less than 10!

About an hour later, the guy I'm doing the Tuesday evening jazz/standards thing with, asked me to do some other weekly stuff beginning the first week of June, so I essentially exchanged one for the other. The new one is all in town dates, early hours for the most part, and as good or better pay. Plus, I'll get May off, so I can recharge as it were.

I am so lucky!

5. It's always good to get away from a gig when it feels like drudgery. I salute your being able to do it, plus it's always great when other (and possibly better) gigs fall into place.

Good luck with the new gig.

6. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    At another point in my "career" I would have had some regret, but not anymore. Over the last 15 years or so, I've worked very regularly, at least as much as I've wanted to, (the last 5 maybe more than I wanted to!), so no worrying about what will happen next.

I like your idea of just a few a month to keep it fresh. Playing with different people helps a lot too. We are a very lucky bunch. As musicians, we keep that brain active, maybe it will stave off the Alzheimers for a while!

Overall, this worked out better than I could have imagined, no worries!

:p

7. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

Thanks Michael!

It can be difficult to walk away from a situation that isn't "bad", but has issues that run deeper. I just felt it was time for a change. The guys took it well, no bad feelings. I promised to fill in if ever they need me.

8. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Well, I am officially done with my commitments to the band as of last night. Funny how folks will tell you things when they won't be playing with you anymore, that they wouldn't otherwise have said.

The drummer is a younger guy, maybe 30, the GP/BL is around 40 and I'm over 50. When it was time to part ways after the gig, drummer says how much fun it was for him, that he learned a lot from me, and how he thinks they'll be calling me for help in six months. He never said much one way or another during my tenure. I'm happy to learn I'll be missed.

New bassist is the old one, who I replaced. He is a good player, better solo chops than me (that's not sayin' much!), but wears his feelings on his sleeve. I haven't actually ever met him, but they've told me some traveling stories. I know he's a good guy and they will be ok, we'll see if they call me.

Anyway, I feel free at the moment, with the commitment burden off my shoulders. I might actually go out tonight to LISTEN to some live music for once. I'm a big fan of any local live scene, I just haven't had much chance to see some. It'll be nice to be on the other side of the fence for awhile and support local musicians.

Cheers ladies & gentlemen! :cool:

9. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    This is a good way to recharge the old batteries, IMO.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Go grab a pint, listen to some local cats and spend time with your family. You've deserved it ;)

11. it's amazing what a change of commitment "scenery" can do for someone. i recently left my hard rock band and new material has been pouring out of me at an astonishing rate

good on yer for going with your gut!