Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finished my 8-10 Ampeg project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

This was a great experience. I got the cab from hexbass in Burlington VT, (3 1/2 hrs away). It was covered in creosote (where the tolex was missing) The cab was empty, and the grille cloth was ratty.
    I covered it in carpet and had a steel grille (like SWR) made, then a kick plate.
    The speakers are EH (Eminence) 32 ohm SVT replacement drivers I got from Corey (GIBSONGEEK) at www.rockcityguitars.com
    I'll try to attach pics, but if it does not work, visit my home page www.bobmelnik.com under my projects. :hyper:

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im not a huge fan of the grill personally but awesome job. You made that cab 1 million times better. Im personally a fan of the stock ampeg grills, or basketweave, but still looks cool and durable.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    that really cool man. great job. whats the impediance and what not on that now?

4. Rockbobmel

Thanks. It has 8- 32ohm drivers in parallel for a total of 4 ohms. One jack. Simple. Blows your ass off stage.! I will prolly sell my 2 Mesa cabs now after some more test plays.

5. Rockbobmel

Thanks. I kept the old frame. I even left the grill holder thingys on and screwed through the middle of them. The cloth would have been about $45. and I would have had to stretch it on ( PITA). I used rubber stoppers to elevate the steel grille to be flush with the corners. It is about 1 1/2 " recessed now and more road worthy. It is also the old plywood cab not the chipboard newer ones.

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Long live the 8-10. looks great man....and lugging it around keeps as in shape eh? ;)

7. Rockbobmel

Yeah, I plan to install 2 snap handles on the BOTTOM toward the front for easy carrying.

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I must say nice job man. I'm considering doing a "poor man's hardwood" job (stripping it, sanding it, then finishing the wood) on my Mesa 1516 cabs as the tolex is ripped to hell and back.

Congrats on a nice big cab :)

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's good work bro. You should be pleased with that accomplishment!

10. Rockbobmel

I did my Mesa Powerhouse 1000 deisel in carpet also. It cost about $5. a linear yard at www.partsexpress.com I used 3M Super 77 spray glue. Your 1516 cab is the same as the P1000, I think. I think I used 2 yards. The Mesa cabs look "Wicked Pissa" in carpet. The tolex just pulls off. No sanding.

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I was talking about leaving it as a hardwood cab and then getting some soft padded cases to protect it.

Kinda like this:

[​IMG]

Got that from this

I think it would look nice on a full sized cab like the 1516

12. Rockbobmel

Would the bass cabs have the same good looking birch ply on them?

13. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, the Mesa cabs and head are all made with the 14 ply baltic birch. I was thinking of tinting mine orange and even doing a glossy finish (then having custom covers made by undercover cases).

14. Rockbobmel

"Custom covers?", So much for poor mans refinish....

15. That cab would have looked sweet if you got it covered with tweed.

Tweed is cool.

16. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    very nice job. can i ask where you got the grille made and how much it was?

17. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's poor man's hardwood :p

All in all both my Mesa 1516 cabs refinished by me will cost less than a single new Powerhouse 1000.

18. Rockbobmel

Yeah, I got it from Carl Fisher Metal Fab. In Springfield, MA.
    I can get you more details tomorrow. I lost the card. It was $50. I prolly would have gotton a heavier gage. But it works well with extra rubber standoff feet (rubber stoppers). Someone here offered to make it for me at work, but they were in CA. I'm in Mass. I cleaned in with acetone then I painted it in Rustoleum (Hammer finish).