Finished Refin Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doc540, Apr 21, 2004.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
  2. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    that just looked great!

I always wanted a jazz in natural finish, and combined with a neck with inlays and binding this is wery close to my dream bass. If it had a maple neck you would be even closer...

Is it the old holes for the brigde cover (ashtray) i can se beside the bridge?

great job!
  3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Well, thanks!

I think it's just an ash body which was under the original sunburst. I stripped it in the mid 70's, but, hey, I was young and clueless. Besides, I wanted a nat wood Jazz.

Yep, those are the original cover holes. I've played it since about 1971, and know the original owner who at the time was playing in a Beatles cover band.

Their manager made them all use VOX equipment, both amps and guitars. So, the bass player dumped his almost-new '69 Jbass. I traded a $250 practice amp for it!
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Looks nice, and I think you made an ok trade ;)

5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Fine Job!
    I bet that Jazz bass has some major Mojo going on if you been playing her since 71.
  6. Good work. There is deffinetely a vintage fender jazz on my must own basses before i die list. BTW, i think you should put the ashtray back on for a more vintage vibe.
  7. Nah, leave it off. Jamerson was the only one who left his covers on anyway!

Nice bass brother!
  8. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks, again.

re: Mojo...I'm just glad it can't talk. It's a statutes of limitation thing. ;)

re: ashtray...I would reinstall it but I rest my thumb on the back pup when I play. In fact, that's the reason I removed it to begin with.