1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finished the P Bass of My Dreams...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ...pretty close anyway.

basspic77.

basspic1.

Features:
    ~Warmoth Jazz Neck - wenge/ebony, no face dots, vintage thin fretwire.
    ~ Hipshot Ultralight Tuners
    ~LaBella Flatwounds
    ~ Orange Capacitor 0.47
    ~ NP4 pickups (might put seymour duncan 1/4 pounders back in)
    ~ No hole pickup covers and black screws and hardware - I think they make a bass look sleek
    ~ Fully shielded - dead silent
    ~tone and volume pots set at maximum inside the control cavity
    ~ custom rosewood pickguard - real wood mounted on a plastic pg
    ~ Squire body (not a feature but I dont see the point in buying an MIA body at this point as the body will get more marked up and bashed around. This is my gigging bass, which I pretty much use for everything so its going to get marked up. I may eventually get a Warmoth rosewood / mahogany /rosewood body.
    ~ Planet Waves gold plated jack
    jack_3.
    For more info: http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/planetwaves.html

The last thing I am going to add is a black bridge cover.

I also have Birdsong thumbrest, made from rosewood, I am going to put on.

This bass has the functionality I want, the sound I want and the looks I want.:bassist:

2. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Looks good!! That PG is money!!

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Whoa! Loving the PG! Nice work dude! Enjoy - post some sound clips when you get a chance!

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nice!

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    BTW, don't want people to think I made that pg. That is way beyond me. Roger W from
    http://artisanguitarrepair.com/ made it according to what I wanted. He did great work. Not cheap though. Its rosewood veneer mounted on black plastic. Then polished and buffed using Roger's process.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Nice work!! I have two basses without fingerboard dots (they do have side dots) and don't miss them a bit (and they look better).

I would think that a thumbrest would clutter the look a bit...but if you'd use it, it would at least match the pickguard.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    bassrig66.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, it looks better without the thumbrest but I need to have it on there.

I used bicycle reflective tape (very durable and sticky) and cut it into little squares to put over the side dots. I need some sort of guide markings and find the little ones on the side cant be seen on a dark stage. Cant see anything from the front and side blocks I put on look pretty good to me.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    curious: if you don't want to use vol/tone controls, why not just take them outta the signal chain, and wire that NP4 right to the jack?

nicely done btw...

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Because without the pots in the circuit the tone changes for the worse. There is a distinct trebly sound that results. Some may like that, but I tried it out and it wasnt for me. I like a bluesy sounding P with Flats tone with not too many highs.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    duely noted, and good reasoning.

12. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    That's good info - I've wondered about that myself on more than one occasion.

13. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    This shows some dedication. A very good-looking result, too. Maybe I'd put non-functional tone and volume knobs on it, just so that the pg extension wouldn't look so forlorn.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is on my short list of the coolest P basses ever. :D

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I may indeed put some non-functional knobs on there. The main reason is that I am not sure I like having the jack on the side. I do alot of practicing sitting down and my cable is always pressing against the couch. I think it could get broken at some point. So if I put the jack back on the front, I'd want the knobs there too. I wasn't completely sure about leaving the knobs off or on, but I figured I could always just put them back on if I found not having knobs to be an issue.

However, I dont think it looks forlorn. I think its a "clean and simple" look. The more simple a bass is the better IMO.

And yeah it did take me a long time. Mainly in the 'pre-development' thought process and finding someone to do that pg wasnt easy. I've actually had all the parts since July, but just didnt have the time to assemble all the parts.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You're too kind. :)

It really didnt cost too much either. Probably under $600 altogether.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have bust a cable by the side jack as you mentioned, playing sitting down.

I wonder is there a heavy duty L cable that would do rather than top mounting.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a planet waves L cable that is pretty beefy so that is not my concern. I'm more worried about the jack wires inside becoming de-soldered/ messed up.

19. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Nice moves! Looks great, I may have to build a 5 string fretless - Just checked warmoth, and there didn't appear to be any 5string fretless necks though... *edit* nevermind, I didn't look hard enough :ninja:

20. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Aesthetically, I'd support putting the jack in its original place. The curve of the pg "tongue" is marvelously elegant, but Leo Fender (or Freddie Tavares) drew it in for a functional reason.