1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 1, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'm building a bass and I'm rapidly approaching the time to decide on a finish. It's maple, which I like the sound of but not the look of, so I would like to stain it. Will this affect the tone any?
    Also, after I stain it, I would like to put a satin finish over it. What effects, if any, do different finishes have on the tone of a bass?

2. I'm not an expert on this at all, but, I don't think any kind of stain will have any more than an absolute minimal affect* on any given bass' sound. My friend has a 1965 Pre-CBS Precision which was originally white/tortoiseshell/rosewood and he had another friend strip it down to the wood, and then apply a pale red stain to it; the bass sounded the same after the new stain was on. I think pickups, electronics and string changes will do far more than any stain or finish to affect the final tone of any instrument, excluding a Stradavarius violin.

Mike J.
    * Probably inaudible.

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    hmmm...it shouldnt affect the sound at all, but i know almost nothing about this.

4. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    That's kind of what I figured. But then, as you said, I remembered the Stradavarius violin, and I was worried I might be doing something that would screw my tone over. Thanks.