Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 1, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'm building a bass and I'm rapidly approaching the time to decide on a finish. It's maple, which I like the sound of but not the look of, so I would like to stain it. Will this affect the tone any?
    Also, after I stain it, I would like to put a satin finish over it. What effects, if any, do different finishes have on the tone of a bass?

2. I'm not an expert on this at all, but, I don't think any kind of stain will have any more than an absolute minimal affect* on any given bass' sound. My friend has a 1965 Pre-CBS Precision which was originally white/tortoiseshell/rosewood and he had another friend strip it down to the wood, and then apply a pale red stain to it; the bass sounded the same after the new stain was on. I think pickups, electronics and string changes will do far more than any stain or finish to affect the final tone of any instrument, excluding a Stradavarius violin.

Mike J.
    * Probably inaudible.

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    hmmm...it shouldnt affect the sound at all, but i know almost nothing about this.

4. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    That's kind of what I figured. But then, as you said, I remembered the Stradavarius violin, and I was worried I might be doing something that would screw my tone over. Thanks.