Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chris J, Jun 30, 2001.

1. I'm going to be putting a finish on a Swamp Ash body and I wanted to know a few things before I started. Will tung oil darken the wood? If it does then I wanted to put on tung oil and then give it a high gloss finish. Will this work? Is it a bad idea to put lacquer over a tung oil finish?

2. Hi Chris.

I think it's true to say that anything you apply to virgin wood will darken it to some degree or other: even humble water will do it.

I'm not sure it's right to apply two different coatings on wood. I reckon if you oil it first, then you've got an oiled finish for ever. Applying varnishes or similar over oil will not work at all as far as I understand the thing. There are some who say an oiled finish looks better anyway.

John

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You will get some darkening depending on what type of tung oil you use, but this could be a desired effect and make the wood look richer. If you want a high gloss finish I suggest you get the body as smooth as possible, there's a product called "Micro Mesh" that is amazing. The fine abrasives in this product will give you a very smooth finish depending on how much time you put into it.

Personally I like a matte finish on my bass and have used Minwax Wipe On Poly with very good results.

4. If I put a blue stain on the wood first. Would I still be able to put tung oil over it?

5. I dont konw jack about the blue finish but the tung oil and the laquer i know will work