1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finishing a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chris J, Jun 30, 2001.

1. I'm going to be putting a finish on a Swamp Ash body and I wanted to know a few things before I started. Will tung oil darken the wood? If it does then I wanted to put on tung oil and then give it a high gloss finish. Will this work? Is it a bad idea to put lacquer over a tung oil finish?

2. Hi Chris.

I think it's true to say that anything you apply to virgin wood will darken it to some degree or other: even humble water will do it.

I'm not sure it's right to apply two different coatings on wood. I reckon if you oil it first, then you've got an oiled finish for ever. Applying varnishes or similar over oil will not work at all as far as I understand the thing. There are some who say an oiled finish looks better anyway.

John

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You will get some darkening depending on what type of tung oil you use, but this could be a desired effect and make the wood look richer. If you want a high gloss finish I suggest you get the body as smooth as possible, there's a product called "Micro Mesh" that is amazing. The fine abrasives in this product will give you a very smooth finish depending on how much time you put into it.

Personally I like a matte finish on my bass and have used Minwax Wipe On Poly with very good results.

4. If I put a blue stain on the wood first. Would I still be able to put tung oil over it?

5. I dont konw jack about the blue finish but the tung oil and the laquer i know will work