Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finishing a cabinet Mahogany/Pine

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jun 29, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    All my free time lately has gone into building a huge cabinet for this spa/resort place in town called KIVA house. I have a question on finishing, and I'm hoping some of you luthiers have built cabinets before, and can help us out.

The sides and frame are all built out of really nice 3/4 " mahogany. The moldings are made out of pine.

My only experience with finishing is guitars and using Tru-oil and Danish oil. THese are the only finishes I have on hand.

I'm wondering what best to use on both the woods. My friend Kevin really liked the Tru-oil, but I'm wondering if we should use some kind of harder finish that maybe you brush on or something.

For the pine, every time I've stained pine, it looks like crap.
    I'd like to create that really nice, rich, honey, rustic look to the pine that I've seen on cabins and such.

Anybody have finishing suggestions??
    I'll try to post pics soon for those interested.

T.I.A.
    jeff

2. One reason the pine looked crappy is that it absorbs the stain unevenly. There is a product by Minwax for preconditioning wood for staining. It's a clear liquid that you brush on and let sit for a few minutes before staining and it allows the wood to absorb the stain without the blotching.

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Yep....got some of that. Minwax pre-stain conditioner, comes in a yellow tub.
    Any recommendations for staining the Pine?

4. As long as you aren't going to spray it, try some gel-stain. It really is nice to work with, and doesn't blotch easily so it'll work well for the pine. It's a lot easier to use than an oil stain, and more versatile in some applications.

5. Oh, and all you need to put it on is an old rag (Or several, possibly, if it's that big.)

I'm actually giving knowledgeable advice on here...

Now you have to get me through my first bass!....