Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing a Fretless Fingerboard like a Pedulla

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SBassman, Feb 2, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    How would one go about finishing a fretless fingerboard like a Pedulla? [has a thick, high gloss finish]

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I believe Pedulla uses a polyester finish, which is generally a bit more involved than most of us like to get. Many folks 'round these parts have used a high quality epoxy to finish their fingerboards with great success. Other options are a polyurethane finish (catalyzed is ideal, but not required) or using cyanoacrylate (i.e. superglue) to seal and protect the fingerboard.

Use the search function to look for information on defretting or fingerboard coating, since this topic has been covered at great length. Also try checking out the FAQ sticky that Basschair recently put up. There's plenty of information there that should help you.

-Nate

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks. I have finished boards in the past, using just a simple wipe-on wood finish. It doesn't come out looking like a Pedulla board, but it does greatly improve the board, especially when wider grain wood is involved.

I'm aware of the dialog here with superglue, and that's probably what I will use for the next board. I just didn't expect it to come out like those Pedulla boards, and I was hoping someone had a magic, easy :) process for doing that.

I love those Pedulla boards.

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    With enough effort you can do some pretty impressive things with just about any one of these finishes. It's mostly just a matter of putting the time in to sand, coat, and buff out your finish until you get that crazy mirror shine. Personally I like a more satin look, so going beyond 800 grit sandpaper usually strikes me as overkill.

-Nate

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca