1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finishing a maple neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by creamgeez, Sep 16, 2008.

1. creamgeez

creamgeez

Aug 11, 2008
    I own an Allparts PMO and need to finish the maple.

What would be the best procedure for the whole neck to achieve a satin (no gloss) amber finish?

I have pure tung oil and a poly spray, but I have read the Minwax 'Wipe On Poly' has yielded better results. I would love to see a slight amber color to the finished product.

At this point I need something quick and painless because my project is at a standstill.

(Reranch does not ship to my location, unfortunately)

2. you will probably want something reasonably resilient, so you dont wear through and get the dark spots from the salt from your hands. sprayed on poly would be easy enough. is it fretted yet? if so, wipe on wont work very well for the fretboard.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Watco Danish oil is my favorite neck finish. Sand to 400 grit and apply wait 1/2 hour apply again 1/2 hour wipe clean. nextday wetsand with it using 600 grit 1/2 hour wipe and buff clean. Next day same procedure with 800 and the following day 1000 grit. Smooooooooth .....t

4. creamgeez

creamgeez

Aug 11, 2008
    Ah yes, it is fretted, so a wipe on is out of the question.

Will the danish oil give it a amber color? Do you have to clear coat the danish oil?

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used some Minwax Antique Oil, a thin wipe on varnish, on some maple table tops. It darkened to a nice amber hue fairly quickly and more so than Minwax Tung Oil. But even Minwax Wipe On Poly will darken noticeably in a few months.

If your fingerboard is maple and already finished, there isn't much to choose from that will stick well without sanding it. The rest of the neck if it's unfinished should be no problem.

7. creamgeez

creamgeez

Aug 11, 2008
    Thanks for the input.

I did decide to go with CIRCA 1850 Tung oil. It is not completely pure but it should do. Basically, apply, wipe, let dry (24hrs), 0000 Steal wool, and repeat for several coats.

This is the easiest, cheapest method with great results.

PS Pure Tung oil is hard to find, and shipping it is expensive. Check out UOWarmoth.com for more info on Tung oil and maple.

8. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    www.realmilkpaint.com

They have 100% pure Tung oil, waxes, and natural solvents. Alos, they have directions. Of course, ignore the number of coats they say to use. I keep seeing numbers around 10 for that.

Hope this helps.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Circa varnishes I've used have been fine so their Tung oil formulation should be too.