1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finishing a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kael, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just bought a replacement neck for my fretless J. It is currently unfinished and I would like to apply one before I bolt the puppy on. Can anyone offer suggestions as to simple methods of doing this or point to an already existing thread that has suggestions? I did a cursory search and found quite a few threads discussing finishes but not very many discussing finising necks.

A few points just in case it makes a difference in the suggestions offered.

It is a (slightly) used Warmoth fretless neck with a rosewood board.

I plan on epoxying the fingerboard after the neck has been finished. I already know how to do this and have done it on multiple occasions with acceptable results.

I wouldn't mind slapping a Fender decal on it before applying the finish. If it is going to be a massive hassle though, I'll probably just skip it.

The tools at my disposal aren't extensive. I can probably cobble something together by "borrowing" some from family members, but the fewer requisite, the better.

I am not looking for some sort of showpiece that will drop jaws. I am looking for a functional finish that will protect the neck.

I'd prefer a satin feel over a glossy. If the finish feels too tacky, as most glossy finishes do to me, I am going to lightly sand it to a satin feel anyway.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I'd keep it simple. Clean it good in case a wax or silicone has been aplied before it fell in to your hands. Scuff it up to 400 grit, clean again and spray 3 or 4 light coats of Minwax sain polly from a rattle can. Led dry at least 24 hrs. level the final finish with something like Micromesh and I bet you will be pleased. oh and tape off your board.:)